Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, 4th Edition (Book, CD & DVD)
- Publish Date: 2007-05-21
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Donald R. Bear;Marcia Invernizzi;Shane Templeton;Francine Johnston
Words Their Wayâs developmentally-driven, hands-on instructional approach has been a phenomenon in word study, providing a practical way to study words with students.Â The keys to this research-based approach are to know your studentsâ literacy progress, organize for instruction, and implement word study.Â This streamlined book and the DVD and CD-ROM that accompany it gives you all the tools you need to carry out word study instruction that will motivate and engage your students, and help them to succeed in literacy learning.Â Ordered in a developmental format, Words Their Way complements the use of any existing phonics, spelling, and vocabulary curricula.
Knowing Your Students
- Streamlined Chapter 2 provides step by step guidelines for assessing students.
- Words Their Way Word Study Resources CD: Assessment Planning and Additional Interactive Word Sorts contains computerized assessments to gauge studentsâ developmental levels.
- Word Study with English Learner sections in each chapter help you organize and adapt instruction to meet the needs of students whose first language is not English.
Organizing for Instruction
- Words Their Way DVD Tutorial: Planning for Word Study in K-8 Classrooms reinforces and illustrates classroom organization and management, as outlined in Chapter 3.
- Word Study Routines and Management sections in every chapter give you practical guidance on managing and implementing word study in your classroom.
- Tech Notes throughout chapters pinpoint opportunities for you to use the DVD and CD-ROM to prepare for instruction.
Implementing Word Study
- Classroom-proven, research-driven activities end each developmental chapter, giving you the instructional practices to get your word study instruction up and running immediately.
- Words Their Way Word Study Resources CD: Assessment Planning and Additional Interactive Word Sorts provides more than just assessments.Â Youâll also find hundreds of additional word and picture sorts, games and templates, and an interactive Create Your Own section.
- The Appendix at the back of the book contains a comprehensive bank of word lists, word sorts, picture sorts, games and templates.
This book would be very useful for both university reading courses and classroom teachers.Â I use Words Their Way both in my first grade classroom and with college students as a way to implement word study.--Kristi McNeal, CSU Fresno
The theory behind and practice for word sorts allows even the novice teacher to understand how to use the assessments to organize instruction.Â The organization of the last five chapters creates a useful resource for teachers.Â Each begins with a research-based description and moves into sound instructional practices, giving the teacher a complete understanding of how to meet the needs of students.--Cathy Blanchfield, CSU FresnoÂ