Freshwater Ecology, Second Edition: Concepts and Environmental Applications of Limnology (Aquatic Ecology)
- Publish Date: 2010-10-07
- Binding: Hardcover
- Author: Walter K. Dodds;Matt R Whiles
Freshwater Ecology, Second Edition, is a broad, up-to-date treatment of everything from the basic chemical and physical properties of water to advanced unifying concepts of the community ecology and ecosystem relationships as found in continental waters.
With 40% new and expanded coverage, this text covers applied and basic aspects of limnology, now with more emphasis on wetlands and reservoirs than in the previous edition. It features 80 new and updated figures, including a section of color plates, and 500 new and updated references. The authors take a synthetic approach to ecological problems, teaching students how to handle the challenges faced by contemporary aquatic scientists.
This text is designed for undergraduate students taking courses in Freshwater Ecology and Limnology; and introductory graduate students taking courses in Freshwater Ecology and Limnology.
- Expanded revision of Dodds' successful text.
- New boxed sections provide more advanced material within the introductory, modular format of the first edition.
- Basic scientific concepts and environmental applications featuredÂ throughout.
- Added coverage of climate change, ecosystem function, hypertrophic habitats and secondary production.
- Expanded coverage of physical limnology, groundwater and wetland habitats.Â
- Expanded coverage of the toxic effects of pharmaceuticals and endocrine disrupters as freshwater pollutants
- More on aquatic invertebrates, with moreÂ images and pictures of a broader range of organisms
- Expanded coverage of the functional roles of filterer feeding, scraping, and shredding organisms, and a new section on omnivores.
- Expanded appendix on standard statistical techniques.
- Supporting website with figures and tables - http://www.elsevierdirect.com/companion.jsp?ISBN=9780123747242
We Also Recommend
Chemistry for Engineering Students, Hybrid Edition (with OWLv2 24-Months Printed Access Card)
Human Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory Manual, Cat Version (11th Edition)