Harpers Illustrated Biochemistry (Lange Medical Book)
- Publish Date: 2012-02-28
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Robert K. Murray;David A. Bender;Kathleen M. Botham;Peter J. Kennelly;Victor W. Rodwell;P. Anthony Weil
Gain a thorough understanding of the principles of biochemistry and molecular biology as they relate to modern medicine
Includes 16 case histories
Clear, concise, and in full color, Harperâs Illustrated Biochemistry is unrivaled in its ability to clarify the link between biochemistry and the molecular basis of disease. Combining outstanding full-color illustrations with integrated coverage of biochemical diseases and clinical information, Harperâs offers an organization and careful balance of detail and brevity not found in any other text on the subject.
Following two introductory chapters, the text is divided into six main sections:
Section I addresses the structures and functions of proteins and enzymes.
Section II explains how various cellular reactions utilize or release energy and traces the pathways by which carbohydrates and lipids are synthesized and degraded.
Section III covers the amino acids, their metabolic fates, certain features of protein catabolism, and the biochemistry of the porphyrins and bile pigments.
Section IV describes the structure and function of nucleotides and nucleic acids, DNA replication and repair, RNA synthesis and modification, protein synthesis, the principles of recombinant DNA technology, and new understanding of how gene expression is regulated. Section V deals with aspects of extracellular and intracellular communication.
Section VI includes fifteen special topics, ranging from nutrition, digestion and absorption to the biochemistry of aging
New to this edition:
- New chapters on Aging, Cancer, and Clinical Chemistry
- Every chapter has been updated to reflect the latest advances in knowledge and technology
- Each chapter now begins with a statement of objectives, followed by a brief discussion of the biomedical importance of topics discussed within the chapter
- 250 multiple-choice questions to test your knowledge and comprehension
- Increased number of tables that encapsulate important information, such as vitamin and mineral requirements
We Also Recommend
Chemistry for Engineering Students, Hybrid Edition (with OWLv2 24-Months Printed Access Card)
Introductory Physical Geology Laboratory Manual for Distance Learning
College Algebra in Context, Books a la Carte Edition Plus NEW MyMathLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package
Glencoe Math: Built to the Common Core, Teacher Walkaround Edition, Vol. 1 (Mathematical Application and Connect Course)